Saturday, November 26, 2011

'Tis the Season

    My mom is a blabber. She tells us all of these stories about herself as a child that can range from being about her getting barbed wire up her butt or an April fools joke gone terribly wrong. There is one single story that I hear year after year. It's about St. Nick.
    She was raised Catholic and on the night of St. Nick, December 5th, it was rumored that St. Nick would come around to all houses and peak in the windows. My mom tells us that she and her 6 siblings wouldn't sleep that night for the entirety of their childhoods. She remembers the "rap rap rap" on her window and being too scared to see who was doing it. Her dad always happened to be out that night and her mom always played along. It wasn't until her late teens when her dad spilled the beans. She still had two younger siblings who believed that it was St. Nick tapping on their windows instead of their dad. Whenever Mom asked her dad about that night, he was secretive. Grandpa finally told Mom about his adventures as St. Nick. He said he would be running around tapping on all of the windows, slipping in the mud, running through branches, and giving those old cancer filled lungs a run for their money.
    Since my family is Christian, we don't celebrate that night, but I would love to experience that. The adrenaline rushing through my body as I creep up to the window would be amazing. I want to start a tradition like that in my family. Or maybe I'll go to the neighbors on December 5th, tap on every window, and then run back inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment