Sunday, December 4, 2011

Why should we remove "literally" from the English language?

According to dictionary.com, the definition of literally is "actually; without exaggeration or inaccuracy." Literally, literally is an over used word that the majority of society uses in the wrong context. Literally's antonymn is figuratively, but literally no one says figuratively. Your pencil can't literally fly across the room. Your mom doesn't literally hate you. Taylor Lautner isn't literally a god (even though he could pass for one). Used in the correct time and place, I have nothing against the use of literally. Even in satirical essays when literally is used in the wrong place at the right time intentionally, I'm ok with it. What irks me is when people are telling stories about their car accident and their lives literally flashed in front of their eyes. Well hate to break it to ya chump, but I'm pretty sure it's been scientifically proven that that doesn't happen. My argument against the incorrect use of literally isn't backed by my impeccable use of the word, in fact I miss use it as much as the next, over-exaggerating teenager. It is just so annoying to listen to! I'm going to start saying "I figuratively am in love with him" or "I figuratively just failed that AP Comp quiz."

No comments:

Post a Comment