Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Superman and Me

Much like Sherman Alexie, I was brought up with books surrounding me. I was introduced to authors early on in childhood due to my parents passion toward well written literature and the intriguing content contained inside the compelling covers. I was neither required to read nor discouraged to so but, the encouragement of my older brother, parents, and teachers persuaded me to become a vigorous reader. Not once does Alexie mention his siblings' influence on his academic life, which I find surprising. Max, my older brother, began reading the Hardy Boys series around 3rd grade. The jealous kindergarderer that I was, I immidiatly began looking through books as often as possible. Not reading them but, flipping the pages becoming more and more memorized each paragraph. It astounded me that someone could write all of that much less read it. To be honest, I was aching to be able to read. I started with Dr. Seuss' classics and worked my way up to the Magic Tree House series over the course of a few years. I developed a love for reading that I doubt will ever diminish

No comments:

Post a Comment